With the fast food industry dominating our diets, many of us are trying to look for healthier alternatives to the sometimes overwhelming amount of unhealthy food that we are surrounded by.
One particular go-to alternative is using cauliflower to make ‘rice’. While some may hesitate at the idea of using this vegetable to bulk up a meal, it actually has many benefits. Firstly, cauliflower is an annual plant so for those who do get a taste for this healthy alternative, you’ll never be disappointed. Secondly, it is packed full of vitamin C as well as other vitamins, such as vitamin B-6 and vitamin K. Thirdly, for those of us trying to watch our weight, 100 grams of cauliflower only contains 25 calories as opposed to 100 grams of rice, which contains 130 calories.
Clearly, the argument for using cauliflower as a healthy alternative to rice is inherently flawless. But how do you make it?
The Speedy Chopper by MoHA is made in Switzerland and is both a fun and easy-to use product. The Speedy uses stainless steel cutting blades, which spin when the cord is pulled. When it’s time to make your cauliflower rice, simply place the cauliflower florets in the container, close the lid and with just a few pulls of the cord you will see your cauliflower turn into ‘rice’ ready to be cooked!
Try out this healthy new trend by testing out this delicious recipe, which only takes 22 minutes to make!
Cauliflower Fried Rice
1 medium head of cauliflower
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 medium onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 carrots, diced
3 cups snow peas
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 scallions, chopped
1/4 cup cashews
- Working in batches, break cauliflower into large chunks and place in Speedy Chopper Pull cord until coarsely chopped.
- Heat oil in large wok over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for one minute.
- Raise heat to high.
- Add cauliflower, carrots, snow peas and soy sauce. Cook, flipping frequently, until veggies become tender crisp and cauliflower begins to brown in spots, about 5 minutes.
- Divide among plates and top with scallions and cashews.
So next time you’re looking for something healthy to bulk up your meal or simply feeling a little experimental, try cauliflower rice. It’s all the rage right now.